I Pledge to PAY ATTENTION!
Waste is a measure of our inefficiency, our affluence, and often, our ignorance. Paying attention, for ONE month, to the stuff we buy, the stuff we use, what we throw away, and where we put it will teach us a lot. Living Consciously — together. That is our task this month.
Purchase only what you need! Make choices that reduce the waste that goes to the landfill. Choose items that are zero waste, recyclable, or compostable. Don’t over-purchase food.
Shop considering the waste that will be generated!
- Do I need this item in the first place?
- Can I shop for a similar item that is plastic-free? Plastics come from fossil fuels, are largely no-longer recyclable, and they will last for 100s of years!
- Is the item durable? Or will I be tossing it after a single use?
- What will I do with the item at the end of its life? Is it recyclable, does it have another use?
2) REUSE! Even Though This Is More Limited Due to Covid-19, Bring Re-Usables With You. Evaluate your daily habits, and create a system to have your reusables accessible, including:
- water bottle (just say no to plastic bottles!!!)
- coffee cup (filled with coffee from home)
- shopping bags
3) KNOW WHERE TO THROW! Composting Correctly and Recycling Right is extraordinarily important, AND it’s not so hard once you pay attention to the guidelines below. Rule of thumb? When in doubt, ask or throw it out!