Sustainable Fairfax teaches, promotes and enacts environmentally sustainable principles and practices.
–WHAT WE DO–
- Educate people on sustainable household and business practices through outreach, workshops and events.
- Advocate for policies that protect the environment, the local economy and a resilient community.
- Partner with local government, businesses, nonprofits and other community groups to expand our sphere of influence.
In practical terms, this means that we:
- Collaborate on critical projects in Fairfax, including the Town of Fairfax’s Fairfax Climate Action Committee helping to implement the town’s Climate Action Plan. We also work with other local organizations including Sustainable Marin, Green Change Network, 350Marin, the Environmental Forum of Marin, the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce and Zero Waste Marin.
- Take on large initiatives such as our Fairfax Zero Waste program to strategize on how to use fewer resources and generate less trash.
- Partner to provide community events including Streets for People and Fairfax Craft Faire.
- Provide educational programs to teach home-scale sustainability practices, as well as host panels and forums on topics such as landfill reduction, environmental practices, clean energy, and more.
- Host events that bring the community together to work on issues that encourage strong and healthy community here at home and beyond.
- Organize activism and education around policy issues focused on addressing climate change and supporting a thriving environment.
Sustainable Fairfax began as an inspiration to take local action on the global warming crisis in February of 1999. Our first educational event was held in September of 1999. Soon after, Community Choice resolutions were passed unanimously by the town of Fairfax and the County of Marin. The town of Fairfax became the 365th local government worldwide to join The Cities for Climate Protection Campaign and the first town in Marin.
Co-founders Rebekah Collins and Odessa Wolfe made a commitment to develop an organization intentionally focused on effective strategies to achieve sustainability goals for the benefit of Fairfax and the world.