Sustainable Fairfax Highlights
The Road to Zero Waste Campaign
- Fairfax Take Back Day. Every year we host a free [to Fairfax Residents] collection of pharmaceuticals, e-waste (computers and electronics), mattresses, and confidential paper to be shredded. These are hard to handle items so we try to make it easier to do the right thing. Event is held in coordination with Marin Sanitary Service and the Town of Fairfax.
- Bring it Home Compost program. Sustainable Fairfax coordinates about three compost deliveries from Marin Sanitary Service to Fairfax residents.
- Zero Waste Education. Striving toward zero waste is hard — keeping track of what goes where is tricky. SFx helps with education around waste sorting and highlighting the importance of keeping food waste out of the landfill. (Let us know if YOU have any questions!)
- Coordinate resource recovery collection at Town events to reduce the amount of landfill waste.
- No-Waste November campaign is a month long focus on landfill waste reduction:
- Sustainable Grocery Tours- Good Earth and Fairfax Market. Sustainable Fairfax provides tours with information and tips on reducing packaging waste and buying in bulk.
- Tour of Marin Recycling and Resource Recovery Centers. Participants observe how waste is collected, processed and sorted; and learned the status of markets for recyclables.
- Tour of Redwood Landfill & Recycling Center. A tour of the compost facility that converts our residential food and yard waste into compost certified for organic farming.
- Backyard Compost Workshop. Marin Master Gardeners and others teach us about backyard and worm bin composting.
- No-Waste Challenge. Participants set goals to reduce landfill waste and shared tips.
Sustainable Fairfax Film & Speaker Series
- SFx hosts film & speaker evenings at the Fairfax Women’s Club, a sampling includes:
- Film: River Blue; Speaker: Rebecca Burgess of Fibershed
- Film: Happening: A Clean Energy Revolution; Speaker: Director Jamie Redford
- Film: Youth in Action – Short films; Speaker: Panel Discussion with youth environmental leaders
- Film: Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things; Speaker: Scott Hannan of Spirit Rock
- Film: Straws (in partnership with Environmental Forum of Marin); Speaker: Panel of experts including Kim Schiebly of Marin Sanitary Service
- Fairfax on Foot! Coordinated the following guided walks to help people discover the paths, routes and public right-of-way trails in and around Fairfax.
- Sky Ranch Walk
- Red Hill Walk
- Oak Knoll History Walk
- Neighborhood Paths – Frustuck Ave.
- Slow Riders! Led bike rides to help people discover the safest bike paths to popular Marin locations/events.
- Earth Day Bike Ride from San Anselmo to Mill Valley Earth Day Event
- Bike ride from Fairfax to Larkspur Ferry
- Fairfax Craft Faire. We partner with Fairfax Recreation every year to bring our community together and support local vendors and artists at this popular holiday event.
- Sponsored the Global Climate Action Summit Affiliate event Time to Lead on Climate featuring United Nations Paris Climate Agreement Christiana Figueres.
- Sponsored the Global Climate Action Summit Affiliate event Loving The Earth at Spirit Rock.
Getting to Our Roots- Sustainable Gardening and Seed Saving
- Co-sponsor the Art Seed Saving event at the Fairfax Library, featuring speakers from Living Seeds.
- Provide seeds from the Sustainable Fairfax Free Community Seed Exchange at the Fairfax Library.
- Supervise at least two internships with Drake High School students.