SHOP LOCALLY & SUSTAINABLY!
We encourage you to come to the weekly Fairfax Community Farmer’s Market on Wednesday evenings from 4:00-800pm. Shop for fresh local organic produce while enjoying music, food trucks and a variety of vendors in Bolinas Park. SUPPORT OUR FARMERS to ensure the market thrives for years to come!
Farmer’s Market Waste-Free Shopping Tips
BRING YOUR OWN….
- Reusable produce bags. Silo Pantry, a vendor at the market, sells beautiful reusable produce bags for $5 each. They are durable and a great way to go plastic-free!
- Grocery bags. If you need one, pick up a free bag from the Sustainable Fairfax table. If you have extra bags you do not need, we will take them for others to use.
- Container for berries. Leave the plastic berry baskets with the farmer for reuse. Plastic yogurt tubs work perfectly for bringing home berries!
- Container for chicken. If you buy the whole chickens, consider bringing your own container. The wrapping is plastic coated, and is not compostable.
- Mason jars for bulk pantry items. Bring your mason jar and get a discount from The Silo (see Vendor Focus below).
- Plate, cutlery and napkins to eat at one of the many delicious food trucks!
VENDOR FOCUS: THE SILO
The Silo Package-Free Pantry sells bulk grains, flours, rices, natural charcoal water filters, soaps, reusable produce and grocery bags and more. The owner, Andy, is so committed to a waste-free existence, that if you bring your own jars, he’ll give you significant discounts on the finest bulk food.
Join Sustainable Fairfax in striving to make the Market a zero waste event!
- We are seeking volunteers to setup (~3:30-4:00pm) and/or breakdown (~8:00-8:30pm) the Eco-Station signage weekly through September. Equipment is light and easy to transport and setup.
- We are also seeking folks passionate about waste issues to help staff the Sustainable Fairfax table next to the Eco-Station. Provide guidance to people as they dispose of their waste, and educate them on alternatives to single-use plastics. We’ll train you!