Zero Waste – Yes YOU can make a Difference
Sustainable Fairfax Zero Waste activities:
- Supporting the local business community to use less, waste less and recycle [and compost] right. Working in collaboration with our local waste hauler and recycler, we hope to help Fairfax businesses to help consumers to do better. For more information, contact us.
- No-Waste November. While Zero Waste is a year-round endeavor, before the holiday, SFx does a concerted push to see how to create a NO-WASTE November. You can do it too! Interested in helping out?
- Waste-less Grocery Tours at Good Earth. Join SFx at a monthly educational tour at Good Earth and learn how to shop with zero waste in mind!
- Greening the Fairfax Festival and Eco Fest; Fairfax Town Picnic, and other local events). Join volunteers who work to make this fun-filled weekend, as zero waste as is possible. It’s a herculean endeavor but we won’t quit trying!
- Farmers Market. Shopping locally, waste-free of course, and supporting local farmers is about the best thing we can do to eat healthy, sustainable, local and organic food. Learn out how to store fruits and veggies longer to make your food be healthy and yummy longer.
- Compost and recycling workshops throughout the year. Ongoing tips and tricks in regular communications. The community is welcomed to engage in helping spread this important message. Find out more!
What we all must do:
- Reevaluate our consumption habits. Can we just say no to single-use plastics and non-reusable or recyclable items? Buy goods from producers who are minimizing waste or taking back their products. (i.e., support “Extended Producer Responsibility”). Can we purchase used goods? Can we shop and only purchase what we really need?
- Make reusables a part of the way you do business. Carry a hot and cold beverage reusable container. Carry reusable utensils and even a hard plastic plate (carrying a glass plate around might be a little dangerous). When you go to the grocery store, in addition to your main grocery bag, bring bags and containers for produce, and bulk items.
- Create systems in our homes and workplaces to minimize the waste that will go to the landfill. Make composting [LINK TO COMPOSTING RESOURCE PAGE], recycling [LINK TO RECYCLING RESOURCE PAGE] and donation [LINK TO DONATION RESOURCE PAGE] easy. If you have questions about how to do this, ask Sustainable Fairfax!
- Don’t be a wishful recycler! Just because you wish your plastic blueberry clamshell container (or whatever) is recyclable, it doesn’t make it so. In fact, putting the wrong items in your recycling bin contaminates the entire load and is hugely problematic. Pay attention to what is recyclable, ask if you’re not sure, or when in doubt, throw it out!
- Encourage the businesses where you shop to provide sustainable choices, to recycle right and compost right. Encourage local business to become a Sustainable Fairfax Sponsor!
VOLUNTEER – Zero Waste Committee
Sustainable Fairfax welcomes new energy and ideas to the ongoing work of striving towards campaign. Our 2012 Zero Waste campaign is focused on accomplishing our goals:
- Take-Back Day for ewaste, paper shredding, and prescription drugs
- Business Community outreach
- Event support
- Waste-Less market tours
- No-Waste November organization
- Writing and communications with a focus on zero waste
Please email email@example.com if you are interested in joining this great team!
About the Zero Waste Hub
The Town of Fairfax passed a resolution to achieve 94% diversion from landfill by 2020. The Town of Fairfax, through grant assistance from Zero Waste Marin, has contracted with Sustainable Fairfax to help implement the zero waste services outlined in the Town’s Resource Recovery Agreement with Marin Sanitary Service. Sustainable Fairfax works closely with Marin Sanitary Service and Zero Waste Marin to educate residents, businesses, schools and local government about ways to reduce the waste that ends up in our landfills.
Zero Waste Resources:
- Reducing Consumption
- Reusing Existing Goods
- Recycling and Composting
- Extended Producer Responsibility